Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Have NEVER Lost Any of My Kids until Today!

This is a note to share that we are all human and in a blink of an eye, a child CAN disappear that quickly.  In this case it was my 3 year old who was missing in the Discovery Center Museum in Rockford!

You always anticipate how you would feel if your child ever disappeared, but you never really know the feeling of panic and helplessness until it happens. 

Being an overprotective mother of 3, I fear the worst in every situation.  So, when I looked up to find my 2 daughters playing but not my son, I looked to my husband and said, "Where is he?"

We scanned the entire second floor, before I literally ran to tell one of the staff members that my son was missing.  I wanted to make sure that if he was taken by someone that they wouldn't get out of the door.  It was less than a minute that I had turned around to talk to my husband, who was facing his direction, but somehow he slipped out of our sight.

It almost felt like a nightmare.  Everybody watched me as I yelled for my son, and I could just feel myself racing back and forth calling his name.  I am sure I looked like a crazy lady to everyone, including my husband, but that is OUR child who is missing.

Moments later what felt like eternity, the staff member came up the stairs with my teary eyed 3 year old.  I thanked her, and in my sense of relief with my son's continuing embrace, I felt embarrassed. 

I started feeling as if everyone around me was judging me, and I felt a quick vibe of defensiveness.  I was looking for someone else to blame, like...my husband, well...he was there too, wasn't he?

Well, I am not perfect, I never claim to be, but as a mom of 3, I do stand pretty high on my toes.  This isn't going to discourage me from taking my kids places, or encourage me to put a leash on my son, but I will take it as a learning experience and hope my son has learned a little lesson too.

We talked about what happened today, he knows that he cried and told the lady he was looking for his mom.  He also knows that she brought him back to me.  I am very pleased with the Discovery Center Museum in Rockford for their quickness at helping us find our son, I only have to think that we were not their first missing child.

We ended our day with a nice dinner out!  And now all the kids are tucked safely in bed!

Note:  It was important to me to share my experience today, because I don't think many people would have.  I never thought I would lose my child.  Now I know, It can happen to anyone!

1 comment:

  1. That must have been so scary for you all.
    I have only ever had that dreaded feeling for a split second and that was bad enough.
    I bet you were so, so grateful when they were all tucked up safe in bed that night. Phew! and of COURSE it can happen to anyone.

    ReplyDelete