Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sometimes you just want to stay home...and clean (?)!!

The day started quick with all 3 kids up before I was.  Originally, I thought we would go swimming, something we haven't done much of this Summer.  Then the weather seemed better for a morning zoo visit, but my oldest complained of a headache and was moping on the couch, when my 4 year old said, "I just want to stay home today!"  So that we did.

The kids just relaxed a lot today, between TV and Computer games, but for one day that was okay by me.  I got the general daily chores done, then headed to the basement for a little decluttering.  Quite honestly, I didn't know where to start, so I started organizing clothes into piles, stuff we will wear in the future, and stuff to share or donate.  We have been trying to clear out the basement for a while so we can get it finished and start using it as a family room.

The day went on and for some reason the kids were extremely well behaved today, we had lunch, then all 3 of my kids took a nap!  I mowed the lawn. 

After the kids got up, I promised them time in the sprinkler while I made dinner.  We all ate, had ice cream for dessert, then played Candyland.  Since they took a nap they got to stay up and finish their movie from earlier "Marmaduke". 

I can't believe the day went by so nicely.  There are not many days that my kids DON'T fight with one another and drive me crazy!  So today was a blessing, and I wouldn't change it for anything!  See, I guess staying home can be a good thing.

So do you ever wonder, how to get things done during your busy day?  Or do you feel guilty when you are cleaning the house and the kids are asking for you to play with them?  Well, here is something that I decided to do after my first child was born:  I set a daily chore schedule!  One thing a day that I feel needs to be done!  (I am a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning!)

This is my schedule that I have followed for the past 7 years.

Monday:  Laundry
Tuesday: Bathrooms (we have 2)
Wednesday: Kitchen
Thursday: Pick up odd and ends around the house and Vacuum
Friday: Wash Floors and put throw rugs into washer.
Saturday: kids wipe down bathrooms with a Lysol wipe and collect garbage.  We also change bedding on this day.
Sunday: Break, or any chores that didn't get done during the week.

Everyday: Dishes need to be done, and sweeping of the floor.

Here are a couple of cleaning tips that I have learned along the way:

Cleaning your kitchen drain:  vinegar ice cubes, will help freshen the drain and get the debris off of the disposal blades.  I also toss in slices of oranges and lemons when I have them on hand.

Keep your bathroom sinks and tile clean longer:  Use car wax on your sink and tile after you have thoroughly cleaned them.  This helps them stay clean longer by allowing the water to bead off, just like waxing your car.

Hope the tips were helpful, and look for more here and there throughout my future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment